Can I Claim Medical Expenses for Adult Children?

When people learn that I work in taxes they typically have tax related questions, especially around tax season.

A friend of mine recently asked if she could do something about all of the medical expenses she paid for her son this year. She explained that he had been in an accident and she had paid out of pocket for some of his medical expenses.

Off the top of my head without any resources to back me up I can never give someone a definite answer. The tax code is enormous and every changing.

I told her that I thought yes it was possible and that I would get back to her with specifics.

Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act passed in 2010 parents can take deductions for medical expenses for children under age 27. Previously that child had to be under 19 or a full time student under age 24.

To add to confusion there is a non tax related provision in that same act that requires health insurers to allow children under 26 to be covered on a parent’s policy.

This means that if you paid out of pocket for your 25 year old child’s medical expenses you can claim this on Schedule A of the 1040 form for itemized deduction, but this same child does not have to be part of your health insurance policy.

The tax issue is completely separate from the health insurance policy issue.

Keep your receipts, invoice, and records and be sure to let your tax professional know.


Comments are closed.